The little sacred rules of inner peace

by Gilbert Ross

Photo by jsbanks42

Photo by jsbanks42

No matter how different people’s goals, inclinations and social conditions might be, there is always one thing that is common to all humans – the desire for inner peace.

Some might not be consciously aware of this all the time or their life experiences have completely closed their heart to this possibility. Others might think that their highest goals are nothing like inner peace but more like material success and gratification.

Still, whether we admit it or not, we all seek happiness and inner peace. Nobody will ever feel complete with loads of material rewards but a spiritual void. So many life stories are a witness to this.

The rules

If you are listening to your heart’s calling for inner peace and happiness, there are a few rules you can embrace and follow in your life. These rules helped many people over many centuries acquire inner peace, reconciliation with their heart’s desires and happiness.

Here they go:

• Listen to your heart: Sometimes our mind enters into conflict with our hearts. I have been there endless times.  You think that something is the right and sensible thing to do but your heart would be beating to a different drum. This can build anxiety and a general dissatisfaction you can’t really put a finger on. Give space to your inner voice, your intuitions and your feelings. Learn to turn your awareness inwards and recognize your inner motivations.
  • Don’t take things personally: Taking things personally means interpreting life from an ego-centered point of view. It’s about I, me and mine. This leads to a very blinkered vision of life in which the ego reacts badly to every petty thing such as criticism, strange looks, misplaced words, etc. What happens is that we end up too subjective and emotionally disturbed for things which when we see from a more detached point of view seem futile and unworthy.
  • Forgive: A heart can never be at peace with grudges and anger. Whatever wrong people might have done to you, when you carry the grudge in your heart you are also carrying the mistake. You relive it every time. Let go of it and travel with a light heart.
  • Accept: This is by far the most effective path to inner peace. When you accept that which you cannot change or control, instead of struggling against it, your heart is open and at peace.
  • Be Grateful: When we are grateful to life and things that are happening around us, we are filling our heart and our surroundings with love, joy and appreciation – the highest form of positive energy. This positive aura certainly promotes happiness and inner peace.
  • Give back before you get: Why do you have to get something in order to give back in return? It works just as well the other way round. Giving is a powerful exercise of heart.
  • Smile to yourself and to others: You might not always mean it but be kind and gentle in your approach reinforces healthy and meaningful relationships with others and with yourself.
  • Don’t do things you don’t have to or don’t like: When we are always seeking the approval and admiration of others, we do things which are not genuinely our passion. Listen to your heart and search for your . mission and goals in life.
  • Share. Don’t think twice: Do not hesitate to share. Sharing is a gesture of peace both to others and to yourself.
  • Avoid negative company: If there are people around you who are disempowering or a negative influence in your life, avoid their company. They can only slow you down and create inner disharmony.
  • Respect the thoughts and opinions of others: If you respect the thoughts and opinions of others instead of looking to win an argument or show that you are right or more knowledgeable, you create harmony and get respect in return.
  • Golden rule: Don’t do to others what you don’t want upon yourself. A natural prerequisite for inner and outer peace.
  • See the ‘you’ in others: By default we think that we are separate from the rest so we see things from a self-centered point of view. This creates all forms of conflict known to man. Start seeing yourself in others. Think about others as different versions of yourself! This helps you intimate with the concept that we are all interconnected.
  • Learn to use your mental filters to your advantage: Rerun the day in your head, pick up and accentuate the positive things in it and exclude the negative ones.
  • Step out of the moment and see the bigger picture: When you are emotionally blocked or stressed out, pause and shake yourself out of the subjectivity of the moment. There is always a bigger picture. If you can’t see it, then recognize it at least.
  • Hold love as your guide and higher purpose: Open your heart to love. Be on the lookout for it. See it in the everyday things. Welcome it, nourish it and nurture it like a fragile precious thing. Love is the highest power. Make way for it and it will expand your life beyond measure.
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Related posts:

1. The Power of Gratitude (and why it always works wonders)
  2. My 5 Rules of Life

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Gilbert Ross October 15, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Thanks a lot Lara for your kind words and for getting in touch. Take Care

Lara Jane September 21, 2013 at 9:51 am

Hi Gilbert

Thanks for the wise words.

Namaste.
LJ

Xiaoyun Gao April 5, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Hi, you are already somewhat enlightened. I would like to listen to your advice. My manager judges me unfairly. should I change my job or should I talk to him to clear up? my guess is you would suggest I talk to him.
Right?

Xiaoyun

Gilbert Ross December 10, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Thanks Miche!!

yes I agree totally…it’s the lack of awareness which is the biggest hindrance. I will never get tired repeating – Awareness is the key to everything. It became almost a mantra now! :)

@everyone – I recommend reading Miche’s latest post…it’s absolutely great!

Gilbert Ross December 10, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Hey Dave,

You put another smile on my face reading your comment!! :)

Cheers

Miche Heredia December 10, 2009 at 4:57 am

Hi Gilbert! Great list. I agree that inner peace is essential to human happiness but many people don’t even know that it’s at the core of what they’re really searching for. Thanks for putting this together.

Cheers,
Miche :)
.-= Miche Heredia´s last blog ..Regaining Inner Peace When You’re Busy: Walking Gratitude Meditation =-.

david December 9, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Great hints thanks !!
Yeah the smile thing resonates with me, though I actually had a bad habit of smiling when everyone else was trying hard to be serious :) , but hey their problem …

Gilbert Ross | Soul Hiker December 9, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Hi Eric,

I completely share your experience on the smiling thing. I never really smiled a lot in my younger years. To be honest, I never really understood those people who always carried a smile with them – I thought that they were either fake half of the time or just plain silly.

As I matured, I realized the importance of a happy countenance. It is welcoming, comforting, auspicious and uplifting. So yes, smiling is good.

Gilbert Ross | Soul Hiker December 9, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Hi Eduard,

Having a constructive system of beliefs is definitely a sure path not only to inner peace but also to happiness, success and fulfillment.

To this I must add that the items in the list are actions that through habit and attitude are meant to become part of our system of beliefs.
.-= Gilbert Ross | Soul Hiker´s last blog ..The little sacred rules of inner peace =-.

Quinn December 9, 2009 at 6:43 pm

not doing things you don’t want to or don’t like is a lesson I am working on a lot these days. Consciously being aware of my need for acceptance has been very helpful in overcoming it and letting me start on a a path to realizing the things I want from life.
.-= Quinn´s last blog ..Putting an end to procrastination =-.

Eric | Eden Journal December 9, 2009 at 6:28 pm

This is a good list. My favorite is the Golden Rule. Just living by the Golden Rule will help most of these other items fall into place.

Smile is also a good suggestion. I used to have people tell me all the time to smile, or you should smile more. I never really gave it much thought, I was just busy with my day and my facial expressions didn’t interest me. Now that I’ve had more time to reflect, I think the important matter is to feel the smile. Get that happy feeling inside, and approach the day with it, then the smile just comes naturally.
.-= Eric | Eden Journal´s last blog ..The Shoveler and his Golden Shovel =-.

Ideas With A Kick December 9, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Hey Gilbert,

Inner peace is an important thing, especially at year’s end. I think in the long run, having a positive, constructive system of beliefs about yourself and your life is the best way achieve it and maintain it.

Eduard
.-= Ideas With A Kick´s last blog ..How to avoid the holiday madness and enjoy yourself =-.